Sunday, March 23, 2014

Caribou Monument 1920's, Bowring Park, Newfoundland



This Real Photo Postcard is of the Caribou Monument in Bowring Park, Newfoundland. The statue, a replica of the monument in Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial Park, was unveiled on July 1st, 1928 as a tribute to the soldiers who gave their lives at the Battle of Beaumont Hamel.

The monument was damaged by vandals last year, but was luckily repaired and returned to it's home in Bowring Park in November.

The Caribou Monument being returned to Bowring Park.
(© — Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram)
I know this isn't the kind of photograph I usually post, but it was a picture from my collection that fit the prompt so well I had to share!


9 comments:

  1. I knew it immediately, as I've actually visited Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial Park and have a photo of the original statue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous caribou! So glad it could be repaired after the vandalism...I don't understand why people have to deface things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think caribou & moose are the only kind of antlers my husband doesn't have mounted on the walls of his 'man cave'. Glad these are on a statue! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful statue. I know nothing about the battle - maybe you could add a footnote to help we ignoramuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly an expert on it myself and didn't know much about it until I researched this picture. If you're interested, this website does a good job of explaining the battle. http://www.heritage.nf.ca/greatwar/articles/somme.html

      Delete
  5. I'm with Deb - why are people so stupid as to vandalise beautiful things

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting to see the 1928 postcard alongside the current photo. I'm glad too that the statue could be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have seen the one at Beaumont Hamel and have a photograph of it. It’s very imposing.

    ReplyDelete